Scope of Work
Cianbro will construct and replace the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge located on the Piscataqua River. The existing steel vertical lift bridge carries the U.S. Route 1 Bypass, providing a critical link between Kittery, Maine, and Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The new 2,800 ft concrete vertical lift bridge will be constructed at a higher elevation than the existing, with a vehicular structure stacked over a railroad level, as well as a longer lift span at 300 ft. Other differing characteristics include long open spans, fewer piers, and wider shoulders.
- Cianbro will:
- Remove existing structures
- Construct concrete roadway and railroad superstructures
- Construct a high-quality and reliable 300-ft long steel lift span
- Construct four angular lift span towers
- Construct approach roads and intersections
- Facilitate and foster collaboration, communication, and partnership with all members of the Project Team and stakeholders
- Avoid and minimize Project impacts to roadway, railway, and maritime traffic, local business, and communities during construction
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
As a member of the Integrated Project Team (IPT), Cianbro will continue to work collaboratively with the Maine and New Hampshire Departments of Transportation as well as Figg Engineering and Hardesty & Hanover, on New England’s first Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) alternative delivery bridge project. Cianbro is maximizing the benefits of the CM/GC process by focusing on the design and construction approach to maximize safety, improve schedule, and increase project value, while adhering to the budgetary goals.