Successfully completing the construction phase of a 42-day machine shutdown, Cianbro’s project team peaked at 800 members strong.
Scope of Work
Cianbro self-performed the No. 11 Paper Machine rebuild and modernization project—converting paper production from directory grade to supercalender grade A paper.
- Assisted the owner with project management
- Performed constructability reviews for the design engineer
- Dismantled and removed portions of existing equipment
- Modified the stock preparation area, which included:
- Installing a new refiner, saveall, screens, and cleaners
- Performing associated piping, electrical, and instrumentation work—including the installation of 40,000 linear feet of pipe, 750,000 linear feet of cable, 35,000 cable terminations, and 40,000 linear feet of tubing
- Installing a new reel, winder, and roll handling system at the machine’s dry end
- Placed 3,080 cubic yards of concrete foundations
- Erected 133 tons of structural steel
- Completed a 42-day machine shutdown to:
- Revise the power distribution and control systems
- Install new drives
- Install a new forming section, headbox, and steam box at the press section
- Modify the dryer section, which included installing a new remoisturizing section and on-machine supercalender
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
With limited drawings, the Cianbro team coordinated all trades and successfully completed significant portions of the work to ensure a productive 42-day machine shutdown.