The new Convention Center is the best facility of its kind north of Boston
Scope of Work
Cianbro served as Construction Manager for the new 202,257-square-foot steel-framed Bangor Cross Insurance Arena and Convention Center with a maximum seating capacity of approximately 8,000.
- Coordinated with the City of Bangor, local utilities, state agencies, and other stakeholders
- Construction of the 174,858-square-foot steel-framed arena
- Construction of the 27,399-square-foot steel-framed convention center
- Erection of 2,500 tons of structural steel
- Placement of 7,000 cubic yards of concrete
- Removal of 50,000 cubic yards of mass excavation
- Installation of 5,800 fixed arena seats, 10 skyboxes, and a party suite
- Coordinated over 2,000 large deliveries for the precast concrete components and steel during the winter months
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The new facility was constructed with an aggressive schedule to complete the concrete foundations before December 1, to avoid winter working conditions and allow for the 184-foot steel trusses to be erected in the middle of winter. The new facility was constructed adjacent to the existing facility which maintained 100 percent operational throughout construction. This included extensive coordination of major work activities and deliveries around all scheduled events to avoid any impact to both the construction schedule and the operations of the facility.
ENR New England Best Project (Merit) Award