The Construction Manager was URS Corporation (Previously The Washington Group, Inc.).
Scope of Work
Cianbro constructed new additions to the pre-existing bascule span piers and erected two 195-foot tall lift span towers and a 188-foot by 32-foot lift span over the Thames River.
- Installed 4,760 feet of sheet pile cofferdams
- Installed 8 ea. 36-inch diameter end bearing pipe pile augured to rock, 180 feet below sea level
- Placed 78 tons of reinforcing steel in the pier extensions
- Placed 2,400 cubic yards of concrete in the pier extensions
- Erected two 980-ton, 195-foot tall lift span towers
- Erected a 188-foot by 32-foot, 1,400-ton lift span
- Constructed 1,250 tons of counterweight steel and concrete for the lift span
- Fabricated and installed 166 tons of platforms and ladders
- Installed two 75 horsepower electric motors to drive the mechanical lift span
- Installed four 16-foot diameter sheaves
- Installed four 7.5-foot diameter operating drums
- Complete replacement of fender system
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro erected a 1,250-ton lift span on a 100-foot by 140-foot assembly barge. During a 96-hour track outage in the spring of 2008, the existing bascule span was removed from the bridge and the new lift span was floated in and installed.
Bentley Systems Innovations in Infrastructure Award
AGC Build America Award
Independent Electrical Contractors Association Excellence in Electrical Construction Award
ABC Connecticut Excellence in Construction Best in Show Award