Scope of Work
Construction of a low head hydro power facility at an existing paper mill. The new 15 MW facility required extensive controlled demolition; rehabilitation of the timber crib dam; concrete and cofferdams.
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro planned around the construction around the needs of the mill. Due to limited access, a tower crane was used to service the construction.
- Demolished portions of the mill including piping relocations to maintain on going mill operations
- Installed five 40-foot diameter, 50-foot high cellular sheet pile cofferdams designed for 40 feet of head for the main portion of the cofferdam; deep rock bolts for reinforcing an existing masonry headwall
- Controlled ledge excavation for the powerhouse and tailrace with a combined volume of 20,000 cubic yards
- Installed 30,000 cubic yards of reinforced concrete for the structures including the powerhouse, retaining walls, rehabilitation of the dam, and the fish ladder
- Installed mechanical, electrical and control systems for the 15 MW Allis-Chalmers vertical Kaplan unit
- Rehabilitated three existing horizontal turbine generators to supplement the one large new vertical Kaplan unit