Scope of Work
Cianbro performed above grade installation for a new Static Var Compensator (SVC) facility adjacent to an existing 115 kV substation.
- Erected all structural steel
- Assembled and installed five (5) reactor modules and two (2) capacitor bank modules
- Installed two (2) 115 kV disconnect switches
- Installed SF6 breakers
- Fabricated and installed 6,100 linear feet of rigid and flexible bus with compression fittings and flexible taps
- Outfitted SVC control house with cabinets
- Installed numerous CT/PT's, grounding, and auxiliary transformers
- Pulled and terminated 86,289 linear feet of medium/low voltage power and control cabling
- Installed above grade conduits and expansion joints
- Installed three (3) Thyristors and associated equipment
- Assembled and installed cooling system, pump skid and cooling towers
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The project consisted of a dynamic bus design. The project team utilized a 3D imaging format of the drawings to electronically review the design with the crews to increase understanding of the design for installation. Additionally, construction of the new SVC facility took place in the harsh winter months and within limited space in a congested yard. Clear and consistent communication was key to successfully coordinating work activities with other contractors.