Scope of Work
Cianbro, along with Joint Venture Partner Brasfield & Gorrie, constructed a new vertical lift span bridge adjacent to the existing, single-track bridge, located over the Intracoastal Waterway at Mile 357.2, near Galveston, Texas.
- Constructed a new 382-foot long single track vertical lift span, two flanking deck girder spans within and adjacent to the tower spans, complete lifting and locking mechanical system, power supply and control system, the float-out of the existing bascule span and the float-in of the new vertical lift span during rail & marine shutdowns
- Designed and constructed a temporary railroad span support over each new pier to allow for continuous rail traffic during construction
- Completely pre-assembled and erected the new vertical lift span off-site
- Constructed two new pile supported piers under and adjacent to the existing bridge, all while maintaining continuous railroad and marine traffic
- Constructed the railway deck on the new vertical lift and tower spans and installed track, miter joints, and rail assemblies on the new spans to join with the existing rails at adjacent piers
- Designed and constructed a new control house
- Constructed two 35 foot diameter and one 45 foot diameter steel sheet pile dolphins along with associated fender systems and then removed the existing fenders and north side dolphins
- Removed two existing arches, abutments, and all other existing structures between the new fenders to El. -25
- Removed the existing 124 foot long rolling bascule span within planned marine and rail outages
- Replaced the existing 36 and 30-inch potable water lines, tunneled under the channel, while maintaining all marine traffic
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Cianbro|Brasfield & Gorrie completed the float-out/float-in phase of the lift span during a 72-hour marine channel shutdown, with only a 12 hour window to close the bridge from rail traffic.
This project received multiple awards.
ABC National Excellence in Construction Award
ABC Alabama Excellence in Construction Award