Scope of Work
Cianbro rehabilitated a 2,100-foot long vertical lift span railroad bridge over the Kennebec River.
- Replaced 64 main counterweight ropes during a 30-day bridge shutdown—opening to traffic seven days ahead of schedule
- Removed, replaced, and coated various steel components
- Performed demolition and managed associated asbestos abatement of the existing control house
- Constructed new operating and electrical buildings and rehabilitated the existing mechanical room
- Jacked and supported two 750 ton counterweights
- Replaced drive shafts and couplings, rebuilt machinery brakes, and installed a span height indicator system
- Performed in-place machining and shot peening of the main counterweight sheave trunnions
- Removed the existing engine system and installed a new diesel engine drive system
- Replaced the existing railroad signal system with state-of-the-art technology—interfacing with a 1920s vintage system
- Removed and replaced existing electrical power and controls systems
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
The Cianbro team completed the project two months ahead of schedule, with no unscheduled interruptions to marine or railroad traffic.