Scope of Work
Cianbro constructed a new 500 kV switching substation to support 49 new wind turbines.
- Placed 163 foundations
- Installed 35,800 linear feet of ground grid, conduit, wire trough, and control cable
- Installed crushed stone surface
- Installed major equipment:
- 3 – 300 kV circuit breakers
- 7 – 500 kV 500A break switches
- 3 – 500 kV metering CT’s
- 6 – 318 kV surge arrestors
- 9 – 500 kV CCVT’s
Lean, Innovative, and Unique Project Solutions
Preplanning and material delivery proved challenging due to limited access on the mountain and the project being constructed simultaneously with a 49 tower wind farm. Parking and laydown space was limited and further complicated the coordination of deliveries in advance. The project team worked closely with the wind farm construction team and preplanned all material and equipment deliveries utilizing the just-in-time delivery method.