The Electrical Design Engineer will report directly to the Director of Design & Engineering. The position encompasses a variety of responsibilities relating to engineering, design, research for projects in the commercial, healthcare, higher education, laboratories, infrastructure, and industrial sectors, as well as interfacing with clients and vendors, as outlined in detail below.
Role & Responsibilities – Design & Engineering:
Role & Responsibilities – Construction and Administration:
- Perform electrical engineering duties that encompass the design and optimization of associated systems and components centered on power distribution, lighting, fire alarm, telecom/data, and the like.
- Work with Senior Engineers to develop Schematic Design, Conceptual Design, Detailed Design Documents, and/or participate in peer reviews with any associated third-party design consultants.
- Develop electrical systems design drawings and specifications, predominantly for building projects, including power systems, lighting, fire alarm, and other signal systems.
- Research and analyze customer design requirements and associated equipment data to evaluate the feasibility, design considerations, probable cost, operability, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Interface with outside vendors for best component or system selection as it pertains to the application requirements, which ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Implement and participate in Green Building Design & Construction practices as recognized by industry-recognized associations such as USGBC and LEED Accreditation.
- Support Senior Engineer to perform building code analysis, site visits, electrical calculations (service load, circuiting, photometric), reports, develop specifications, equipment/system selections, and detailed design development that is consistent with industry best practices, OEM requirements, and any specific technical standards.
- Provide drawings for work performed on behalf of A/Z consistent with the Professional Engineers Code of Ethics. In turn, A/Z will indemnify and provide the associated professional insurance coverage.
- Produce construction documents utilizing the latest in design software solutions with computer-assisted design/drafting (CAD 2D / 3D modeling within a BIM environment) and clash detection applications (i.e., Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks, QuickPen, etc.) to support the design team and provide oversight following industry and/or company standards.
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Support Senior Engineer to conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, and performance of equipment, components, and systems.
- Support Senior Engineer with commissioning, start-up, and help develop procedures for testing of electrical systems.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and to make recommendations to physical plant operations and/or maintenance crew as requested.
- Application and understanding of Company design formatting, indexing, reporting, and document quality assurance procedures and policies.
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering-based opportunities.
- Solicit new business and provide technical customer service.
- Concurrently work on multiple projects, prioritizing daily tasks based on client/project requirements.
- Strong communication skills to communicate with clients and team members via calls, meetings, and emails.
- Participate in required peer reviews with project team members providing insight and confirmation regarding productivity factors, assembly breakdown structures, constructability evaluations, alternative means and methods, general condition build-up factors, and scope of service definition for associated qualifications, clarifications, and conditions in support of project proposals.
- Adherence to Corporate Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies and Best-Practices in the deployment of all work-related activities.
- Provide a pro-active and positive Client interface throughout the delivery of services.
- Quality control accountability to ensure field compliance with all associated project specifications and technical requirements.
- Provide the necessary project information to accurately complete conceptual or work-in-process performance schedules in an organized and controlled project approach.
- Coordinate and support all project close-out, start-up, and training in accordance with facility management best practice standards and technical requirements that are outlined within the project performance specifications.
- Initiate continuous improvement objectives and embrace technology enhancements.
- Promote, foster, and maintain open communication among all project team members, consultants, inspectors, applicable agencies, and the supporting subcontractors and trade participants.
- Participation in lessons learned sessions, operational development initiatives, and best practice training to support a continuous improvement working philosophy.
- Provide construction administration for assigned projects or as a request by Manager, which includes support estimator department to develop estimates, submittal review, site visits, RFI’s response, and punch list reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in designing electrical systems for buildings.
- Familiarity with US codes and standards.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize effectively and balance assigned work.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for team-based working.
- EIT Certification will be a plus for the right candidate.
- Complete competitive benefits package offered.
- Flexible working schedule.
This position will fall under A/Z Corporation, a Cianbro company. A/Z is an industry-leading, construction and maintenance services provider. Our mission is to provide the highest levels of quality and value to the clients we support in technology-driven industries.
A/Z Corporation’s headquarters is located in North Stonington, CT with satellite locations in MA, NJ, and RI. However, the right candidate will have the option to work from any of the Cianbro Companies Maine fixed-based offices (Brewer, Pittsfield, Portland, or Falmouth) or Baltimore, Maryland fixed based location. If preferred, the candidate will also have the option to relocate to CT, MA, NJ, or RI. This role offers a flexible work schedule with the ability to work from home a couple of days per week.
Cianbro is an employee-owned, tobacco-free, equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on marital status, race, color, creed, gender, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, veteran status, union affiliation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or other legally protected status.